Saturday, February 6, 2010
First Crossing
Welcome to my travelogue! This is my first time blogging, so you can say that this is my "first crossing" into this new land, this journey that we are all about to embark on. This week, I accomplished something very big that I have been working on for over a year now. I teach at a middle school, and one of my responsibilities is to create the reading curriculum for our school-wide reading program. I create a workbook that corresponds to a novel for each grade level each nine weeks. As we enter this multicultural society, I have been wanting to create a workbook that focuses on the diversity that exists. I found the book, "First Crossing," a book of 10 stories by different authors in which each story tells the struggles and hopes of 10 different immigrants of different cultures as they first crossed the border into the United States. The workbook I created has comprehension questions for each story in the novel, news articles relating to diversity in the United States, videos, multicultural activities, and much more. The eighth grade students just completed their first week using the workbook, and already the feedback is positive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Congratulations! This sounds wonderful and I am very happy for you. It must have taken a lot of work and time, but it is great to receive the positive feedback. It is very exciting to see your work implemented and be able to see the positive results.
ReplyDeleteWonderful is the word! I am so excited for you Leah. This sounds so promising, it is no surprise that you are receiving positive feedback already.
ReplyDeleteIt is great that you are in the classroom already able to touch so many lives. I am sure that your enthusiasim is contagous.
ReplyDeleteJinger Knox
What an exciting idea! Maybe you could extend the activity to tell about their ancestry.
ReplyDelete