Friday, February 19, 2010

Title I or Not

This week, the teachers at my school have reached a high level of frustration with...not the students...but the parents! I am fortunate enough to teach at a school that is in a great neighborhood with a student population that is well-behaved and have high academic goals for themselves and their futures. This makes the day-to-day teaching "easy." The problem, however, is the parents. The parents are so demanding, and they are often attacking us, critisizing us, and putting us down. We can take a few comments, but the rude comments that come in on a daily basis attacking me and my character can become quite frustrating (needless to say)! A teacher I work with made an interesting comment the other day when she said, "I think it may be easier if I go back to a Title I school." I have taught in a Title I school, so I understand the stresses in the classroom, and I also understand the frustration of the lack of parent involvement. It's just sad that there are two extremes: overactive parents or uninvolved parents. I wish there was a happy medium!

1 comment:

  1. Although I can't relate first hand, my sister teaches in a school where parent involvement is close to nothing so I understand the frustrations that come with it. Like you said, it's funny how there's the two extremes and they're both awful! I'm sure it's completely stressful to have these pushy parents breathing down your neck all the time. Even though there are probably plenty of teachers out there wishing their students' parents were more involved (like my sister), they wouldn't trade for your situation any day! It's interesting that as teachers we can have a decent amount of control over the students and their behavior but there's almost no way we can change how the parents act!! Ah, the challenges of teaching! Good luck- it sounds like a pretty big issue for your school. :(

    ReplyDelete